Laurel Woods' students strive for excellence in academics, social interactions, and with behavior. To assist our students in their efforts to excel, we have a school-wide behavior plan that is guided by PBIS - Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports. Our PBIS plan is designed to:
- Teach students what is expected of them in school
- Positively reinforce them as they learn and demonstrate these expectations
- Promote a safe and nurturing environment for students and their families, staff and visitors in all areas of our school.
We have four school rules that are taught, reinforced and expected throughout each day. These rules can be observed when a student demonstrates specific behaviors at school, at home or in the community. Here are some examples...
- School - Use positive language
- Home - Do what you are asked to do
- Community - Be kind to your neighbors
- School - Do your homework or Clean your area in the cafe
- Home - Help keep your room and the rest of your home clean
- Community - Keep the neighborhood clean and do not litter
- School - Keep your hands and feet to yourself
- Home - Use items in the kitchen with your parents' supervision and/or permission
- Community - Keep personal information, like your address or phone number, private and do not "chat" on the computer with unknown people
- School - Do your best on every assignment
- Home - Do your chores to the best of your ability
- Community - Help do your part and pick up after yourself wherever you go
As students demonstrate expected behaviors, they earn dolphin dollars. These dolphin dollars should stay at school so they are ready to be used daily. On Fridays, dolphin dollars are counted and traded in for prizes and special drawings.
If you have questions about our school-wide behavior plan or any efforts to help students, please do not hesitate to contact us at 410-880-5960.